Friday, June 12, 2009

Write About Something You Know!


Or at least about something you pretend to know. Right?

I've decided my block with blogging is centered around the thought that I've nothing to say. Fact is that just might be the case. In reality though, as me a question about food and I'll give you all sorts of opinion. So, my blog may just end up being about food, rather often.

Cookies are one of my favorite things. I think what I like them is that (when done right) they are the perfect-sized bit of wonderful tasty texture. Do them wrong and they are flat, hard discs often better used as paper weights.

A couple of days ago I decided we had gone too long without a good oatmeal cookie. So, I cracked out my favorite cookbook, made some modifications and this delicious, chewy raisin oatmeal cookies was baked. We've been enjoying them for the past few days.

Perhaps the funniest thing that came out of my latest cookie escapade is that my children realized they actually like oatmeal raisin cookies. Now I have a recipe to use up all that oatmeal in our pantry!

So, if you want to try what I think is a great oatmeal cookies, ready to soak of plenty of milk or be eaten all by itself, here's the recipe I'm liking these days.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t nutmeg
1 C butter (softened)
2 C packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 T vanilla
3 C old fashioned oats (I used quick oats)
1 1/2 C raisins

Cream butter and sugars together (2-3 minutes), mix in eggs one at a time, mix in vanilla. Blend in flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg mixture. Fold in oats and raisins. Bake 2 inch balls of dough in 325 degree oven about 15 minutes. Take this cookie out of the oven when the center inch of the top of the cookies still looks a little wet. Allow to set 2-3 minutes on cookies sheet. Remove to cooling rack.

No comments: