Sunday, July 12, 2009

I Guess Ink Gets in One's Blood

There's something about being able to make an interesting introduction for yourself when meeting new people. Perhaps it's part of me that is screaming to be noticed. Remember me, please!

Seriously though, I'm not sure why I do this so often but when people ask me about my childhood or what my dad did for a living in a small Southern Utah town I invariably end up saying something like, "I spent most of my childhood in a dark room." It usually makes people stop and question. They typically are unsure if they want to proceed or turn and simply walk away. I then usually bring up the fact that my father ran the local newspaper and I got to learn about the photographic processes in helping him. Thanks dad for letting me "help" you, it was a great childhood!

I realize that the whole dark room stuff is a rather lame attempt at a joke. But it's that itch to be different, noticed and somehow interesting I suppose. I should probably figure out at way to be okay with my plainess.

Growing up in that darkroom. Producing negatives for the newspaper on a stat camera half the size of a dining room was something my dad taught me at a very young age. The magic of the old photographic processes is something that has been lost in this current world where just a few minutes after snapping a picture with your camera phone you can print photos on your ink jet printer. Where's the magic in that?

Learning the mysteries of the photographic process really were amazing fun for a small boy. I loved being able spend time with my dad as he taught me how the different chemicals would bring images out of photographic films and papers. And watching that image slowly appear as the sheet of acetate or paper glided back and forth sandwiched between layers of watery, smelling chemical bath was amazing!

There is a saying in the print industry is that ink gets into one's blood. Once you have it there you are drawn to the process. It's true, at least to some degree I believe.

A few months ago I started working at Provo Craft. In that job I get to go through the darkroom process with the Web with online marketing (in a sense). But one of the funnest aspects of my job is that I get to market some great creative tools. And one of those happens to be a screen printer--Yudu.

There is something about watching the image appear from negative to positive when you do something like create a t-shirt. I'm hooked. So, a couple of nights ago I did a bunch of shirts for the my kids and their cousins. Lois' family was having a reunion and our annual "Hike to the Y" tradition seemed like the perfect excuse for a custom t-shirt.

To see how excited these kids were to get this simple t-shirt reaffirmed in my mind the idea that we all want to say something unique about ourselves. The T's are simple enough but the fact that they identify us as a group that belongs together and ties us all to something we love is what makes the shirts an exciting proposition. And I was surprised to see how many of the moms and dads wanted one too. I ended up doing another batch a few days later with requests for more yet to be made.

So, thanks dad for getting me hooked. The kids and adults are enjoying the benefits of you having put up with so much complaining as you taught me the fun to be had printing!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Way cool! I'll be expecting custom shirts next year at the reunion!!

Mark said...

Can I get a copy of the design? I would like to screen print a few since we didn't get to go this year.

Unknown said...

I loved these shirts! My mom showed me when I got home. So clever!